Advising Mission Statement
The mission of the academic advising program within the Student Success Center is to prepare and empower students for college success by developing a collaborative relationship between the advisor and the student which promotes the personal, educational, and career and professional development of the student.
For general advising questions, email Ask_an_advisor@shawnee.edu.
To contact a specific advisor, please go to Contact Us.
- Understand and effectively communicate the curriculum, graduation requirements, and university and college policies and procedures.
- Encourage and guide students as they define and develop realistic goals.
- Encourage and support students as they gain the skills to develop clear and attainable educational plans.
- Provide students with information about and strategies for utilizing the available resources and services on campus.
- Assist students in understanding the purposes and goals of higher education and its effects on their lives and personal goals.
- Monitor and accurately document students’ progress toward meeting their goals.
- Be accessible for meeting with advisees via office hours for advising, telephone, ore-mail.
- Assist students in gaining decision making skills and skills in assuming responsibility for their educational plans and achievements.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Assist students in working closely with their professors.
As an advisee, you have clear responsibilities in the advising partnership to be successful:
- Schedule regular appointments or make regular contacts with advisor during each semester.
- Come prepared to each appointment with questions or material for discussion.
- Be an active learner by participating fully in the advising experience.
- Ask questions if you do not understand an issue or have a specific concern.
- Keep a personal record of your progress toward meeting your goals.
- Organize official documents in a way that enables you to access them when needed.
- Complete all assignments or recommendations from your advisor.
- Gather all relevant decision-making information.
- Clarify personal values and goals and provide advisor with accurate information regarding your interests and abilities.
- Become knowledgeable about college programs, policies, and procedures.