Commuter Advisors (CA) are available to help commuter students transition to college life. CAs are placed with incoming commuter students to serve as a mentor and as a resource for them. Each CA will keep in contact with his or her commuting freshmen, help them navigate Shawnee State University and help them get involved on campus. All CAs hold office hours in the University Center during the week so they are accessible to answer questions that a commuter student may have. Commuter Advisors are equipped with the most up-to-date information regarding campus events and news so that they stand ready to assist any commuter student that may need their guidance!
What Can a New Commuter Student Expect?
- Ideas and insight on how to adjust to a new, larger, more complex environment
- Advice and tips on "commuter success" issues such as parking, registration, where to eat, how and where to meet other students
- Knowledge of campus opportunities and University resources
- Increased awareness of student life, clubs, organizations and activities
- Introduction to faculty, staff, and peers
- Opportunity to build friends and extend support systems
- Support and guidance from the Office of Student Engagement and Leadership
- Join the Commuter Council or the Non-Traditional Student Association.
- Make New Friends – Talk to Classmates or Join Study Groups
- Get Involved and Attend Events
- Listen to Books on CD while driving
- Know Alternate Routes to Take When Roads are Closed
- Buy a Commuter Meal Plan and Eat on Campus
- Know Where to Park and Avoid Parking Tickets
- Car Pool with Other Students who Live by You
- Know the Best Study Areas
- Use MySSU
- Sign Up for SSU Alert
- Check SSU Emails and Junk Mail