Free App for Students & Staff Turns Your Phone Into A Personal Security Device
As part of the Department of Public Safety's ongoing commitment to campus safety, the Shawnee State University Department of Public Safety has launched Rave Guardian, a free mobile app that turns any smartphone into a personal safety device. By downloading this free safety app, students and faculty can enhance their personal safety both on and off campus.
With Guardian, users can create a profile of information about themselves, and invite family and friends to their safety network. When needed, the user can request one or more of their Guardians to virtually walk with them on or off campus. It's like having an emergency blue light system and a trusted friend with you at all times.
How does the Rave Guardian App work?
- Register and set up an account: Users can add their name, campus address, medical notes and other pertinent information for campus safety in case of emergency.
- Easy Emergency Communication: In an emergency, a one button call to Public Safety officials (or 9-1-1 if off-campus and within a Smart 9-1-1 area) will display the users Guardian profile and current location.
- Add & Message Guardians: By adding roommates, friends, and family to their network, users can feel safer when walking alone, on or off campus. Guardians can also be messaged directly through the app.
- Set a Safety Timer: In the event a student feels unsafe, they can set a timer with their current location, indicating where they are going and when they should arrive. In the event they do not make it there and de-active the timer, Guardians or campus safety will be immediately alerted.
- Send Anonymous Tips: See something, say something. The app allows users to anonymously text suspicious activity to campus police, including photos.
The safety of our students and staff is our top priority at Shawnee State University. The Rave Guardian app allows each one of our campus members to be proactive about their safety and help keep themselves, as well as their friends safer. We encourage everyone to download and register with the Rave Guardian app.
The Rave Guardian App can be downloaded in the Apple or Google Play stores by searching for "Rave Guardian". You can also learn more at www.raveguardian.com.
If you have any questions please contact David Thoroughman, Director of Public Safety at firstname.lastname@example.org or (740) 351-3888.