"Studying Abroad was the scariest thing I've ever done. It was also the most exciting and most rewarding!"-Emily Crabtree, SSU Study Abroad participant.
Study Abroad through SSU and CIPA
CIPA sponsors international travel and language study in a variety of culturally diverse destinations around the world. Both long-term and short-term experiences are available. You can participate in an exchange program with one of our sister universities, pioneer your own Study Abroad experience with ISEP- Direct in over 70 locations, or sign up to participate in a short-term Study Abroad experience.
Why Study Abroad?
Studying Abroad is a unique opportunity to learn more about yourself and the world around you. Participants have the chance to travel and experience another culture first-hand, all while earning credits towards your degree. Students who participate in Study Abroad programs:
- Develop skills in problem solving
- Develop foreign language and communication skills
- Gain geographical, historical, and cultural knowledge
- Gain an appreciation for and understanding of different cultures
- Develop confidence and a stronger sense of personal identity
- Make personal and professional contacts around the world
To understand how Studying Abroad can affect your professional life, please download and review the American Institute for Foreign Study's Guide to Study Abroad & Career Development.
To talk to a student who has participated in a Study Abroad experience, e-mail email@example.com.
Shawnee State offers a direct exchange with our sister universities. Students who participate in an exchange program typically spend one semester or one year at the sister university. Participating in an exchange program is often the most convenient option for students. Shawnee State students pay SSU tuition for the duration of the exchange.
Shawnee State University currently has six sister universities:
- Chile: Universidad Mayor in Santiago, Chile.
- China: Zhejiang University of Technology.
- China: South China Normal University.
- Ludwigsburg, Germany: Ludwigsburg University of Education.
- Ifrane, Morocco: Al Akhawayn University.
- Castellon, Spain: Universitat Jaume I (James I University).
ISEP- Direct Study Abroad Program
Shawnee State University is now a member of ISEP-Direct, giving you access to more than 70 Study Abroad destinations. ISEP-Direct offers both long and short-term Study Abroad experiences. With an ISEP-Direct Study Abroad experience, you directly enroll at the host institution instead of participating in an exchange. Financial aid is typically applicable to ISEP-Direct program costs. To learn more, make an appointment with CIPA (your ISEP-Direct coordinator) and visit the http://www.isep.org/students/programs/isep_direct.asp/.
Short-Term Study Abroad Options
Short-term Study Abroad Experiences through Shawnee State University are conducted on a regular basis. These trips are for approximately two weeks. Previous trips have included travel to Berlin, China, France, Greece, Ireland, Spain and Costa Rica. In addition, ISEP-Direct offers short-term Study Abroad experiences each summer.
If you are interested in a short-term Study Abroad experience, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in Studying Abroad?
See the Study Abroad Guide.
Apply for Study Abroad Program:
- Study Abroad Guidelines and Release Forms
- Study Abroad Application
- Faculty Proposal for a Study Abroad Program Form
- Consult our detailed Pre-Departure Manual.
- Purchase Health Insurance for Students.
- The Center for Disease Control and Prevention's 2012 Yellow Book Online and In Print: Keep up with the latest travel health recommendations by exploring the new "CDC Health Information for International Travel 2012" (the Yellow Book).
- For Study Abroad resources, go to Transitions Abroad or the Institute of International Education, and Study Abroad Funding.
- A U.S. Department of State Website: Students Abroad information. Register your trip with Smart Travelers Enrollment Program, prepare your travel documents, and review what to do in an emergency situation abroad.
- Helpful Travel Links: International Student Exchange Cards, Inc.
- Travel Document Systems, "Portal to the World" for the processing of urgent online applications for Visas, Passports, and immigration documents.