Counseling & Psychological Services

How to Refer

When you think that a student may be experiencing some emotional difficulties and might benefit from professional counseling, you can refer that student directly to the Office of Counseling and Psychological Services. However, prior to doing so, it is best to be straightforward about your concerns with the student. Always do so in a private setting to ensure the student's confidentiality. Specifically address the behaviors or verbalizations that the student has manifested or you have observed that have raised your concerns for their well-being, while conveying your respect for their privacy. Emphasize that counseling is confidential and that no one will be able to see their record.

Usually a student needs some time to think over what you have discussed before choosing to seek counseling. Sometimes the gentle suggestion by a person who shows genuine concern for the student is enough. If a student declines to speak to you about their problems or refuses to seek counseling, it is important to respect that decision. However, always leave the door open for the student to approach you in the future for further discussion. If the student doesn't and your concern continues, don't hesitate to follow-up with the student to let them know that you would still like to help; even to the point of offering to make the call to set up an appointment and if you feel comfortable enough, bringing them to the first session. Many times all it take is that extra effort.

If at any time, you become concerned for the safety of the student or other students due to verbalizations of doing harm to oneself or others, immediately contact the Office of Counseling and Psychological Services for assistance.

If the situation arises after normal Office hours (Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and evenings by appointment), contact the Crisis Hotline at 740-354-1010, explain the situation and ask for assistance.

Page maintained by Marketing and Communications.