Transfer Admission Requirements

Whether you will be transferring a few college courses or transferring an associate degree to one of our baccalaureate degree programs, you will find Shawnee State to be a transfer-friendly university choice. Transfer students may apply for admission to Shawnee State University by:

  • Completing the Transfer Application for Admission.

  • Submitting official transcripts from each college or university previously attended. Please note that college transcripts must be received via mail from the school's Registrar's office to be considered official. Photocopies, fax, and hand-carried college transcripts are not accepted.

  • Submitting high school transcripts and results of the ACT or SAT. Applicants age 21 or over are exempt from providing SAT or ACT scores.

Please submit all documents to Office of Admission, Shawnee State University, 940 Second Street, Portsmouth, OH 45662.

What happens after I apply?

  1. Upon receipt of application documents you will receive a formal notice of admission. Your student ID number and MySSU login will be included with your acceptance letter.

  2. The Office of Admission at SSU provides a copy of your transcript(s) to the Registrar's Office.

  3. Next, the Registrar's Office posts your transfer credit to your SSU transcript. You will then receive a cover letter and a copy of your SSU transcript when this step has been completed.

  4. If you have declared a major, you should meet with your academic advisor so they can review your degree audit and confirm transfer equivalencies were awarded correctly for your major.

  5. Sign up for a Registration Orientation date. As a transfer student, your emphasis on this day is class registration.

  6. If you receive federal financial aid, log onto and add Shawnee State's FAFSA code: 009942.

  7. Contact Financial Aid so they can verify if any grants at your previous college could affect your financial aid package at Shawnee State. This is rare, but both the student and the Financial Aid office need to know this early.

  8. If you received student loans at your previous college or university, please contact their financial aid office and request that they cancel any pending loan disbursements. SSU cannot award you loan money until any pending loans have been cancelled. If you have questions, please contact Financial Aid for assistance.

Other transfer information

Frequently asked questions

Will you evaluate unofficial transcripts?

How do I know my credits will transfer to Shawnee State?

What courses will transfer from:

  • Ashland Community & Technical College
  • Columbus State Community College
  • Marshall University
  • Maysville Community & Technical College
  • Southern State Community College
  • University of Rio Grande

Registration and Semester Start Dates (2016-2017)

August 22 – Fall Semester begins
November 4 - Open registration for Spring 2017 begins
December 16 – Fall Semester ends
January 9 – Spring Semester begins
April 7 - Open registration for Summer & Fall 2017 begins
May 6 – Spring Semester ends
May 22 – Summer Term begins

Need help?

James Farmer
Transfer Student Services
Toll Free: 800-959-2778
Direct: (740)351-3221
Fax: (740) 351-3111

Page maintained by Marketing and Communications.