Mission Statement and Strategic Plan
Shawnee State University-the regional state university for Southern Ohio-prepares students for the changing needs of business, industry, education, and society through its diversified degree programs. Recognizing the importance of knowledge, values, and cultural enrichment, Shawnee State University is committed to providing higher education that fosters competence in oral and written communication, scientific and quantitative reasoning, and critical analysis/logical thinking. To enrich the lives of the community, the University provides opportunities for continuing personal and professional development, intellectual discovery,
applied research, and appreciation for the creative and performing arts.
Theme: Teaching and Learning
To be widely recognized as an exemplary public university committed to student success and excellence in teaching and learning.
- Promote the value of higher education to the community and region
- Support advanced effective teaching
- Improve student proficiency levels in basic knowledge and skills needed for success in the 21st century, such as oral and written communication mathematics, and computer skills.
- Create a "culture of planning" to guide decisions about possible changes in academic programs and services.
- Sustain academic and student services supporting technical, career-oriented, and professional programs.
Theme: Growth and Development
To assure the full development of the University through planned enrollment growth and wise investment in educational initiatives.
- Increase Enrollment.
- Respond selectively to opportunities for growth and expansion of academic programs.
- Improve graduation and completion rates of students significantly.
- Improve institutional procedures through organizational change and continuous attention to student needs and human resource development.
To increase opportunities for students, the campus community, and area residents by pursuing joint initiatives with the larger community and by cultivating a shared sense of purpose within the University.
- Enhance internal and external communication.
- Enhance commitment to collective planning and decision making through effective shared governance.
- Build a more vital campus life.
- Develop partnerships that involve the University in collaborative activities with other groups and institutions.