Learn. Lead. Leave Your Legacy.
Emerging Leaders is an interactive program for new students at Shawnee State University. A year long program, Emerging Leaders challenges students to develop their leadership abilities through workshops, presentations, service projects and retreats. The Emerging Leaders program creates an opportunity for first-year students to become actively engaged in the campus community through leadership development, civic engagement and self-discovery. It is through achievement, mentoring and co-curricular involvement that students experience an all-inclusive approach to college life.
Applications can be found Here.
Application Deadlines & Selection Process
First-year students are eligible to apply for this program. Twenty participants will be selected on the basis of their interest, previous co-curricular involvement, leadership potential, and responses to the essay questions. Applications due Friday, September 7th. Please return applications to UC 222 or e-mail to Nikki Karabinis (email@example.com) or Tiffany Hartman (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Workshops - Workshops will be held twice a month.
- Self-Development - Students will be required to attend two university sponsored development workshops or sessions per semester. A list of suggested sessions will be provided.
- Campus and Community Engagement - Students will participate in the 9-11 Day of Service (September) and the MLK Day of Service (January) and join at least one recognized student organization.
- Required Reading – Students will read and discuss selected leadership development literature.
- Study Groups - Students will have the opportunity to participate in weekly study groups to encourage and assist each other with their academics.
- Cost - The program costs $25 per student. Call 351-3392 for more information.
- Shawnee Pride - Along with great leadership skills, students will receive SSU gear and exclusive opportunities throughout the academic year.
- Sign and maintain an Emerging Leaders Honor Code.
- Remain in good academic standing with 2.5 Cumulative GPA.
- Maintain full-time student status.
- Attend 90% of programs, workshops, service projects and retreats.
- Participate in the Fall Weekend Retreat.
- Participate and present at Celebration of Scholarship.
- Join a student organization.
- Attend awards ceremony at the conclusion of Spring semester.
- Develop and practice leadership skills
- Acquire knowledge that is needed to be an effective leader on campus
- Learn the value of a diverse university community
- Develop a better understanding of self and working with others
- Leave your legacy at Shawnee State University