|Academics||Future Students||Current Students||Faculty/Staff||Alumni/Friends||Parents|
Co-chair Bill Rockwell called the meeting to order at 10:15 a.m.
The minutes from the December 11, 2008 meeting were distributed. Rick Merb made a motion to approve the minutes. Mark Moore seconded. Motion passed.
New Business/Executive Committee
1) President’s Advisory Council Meeting Report
Bill gave a report on what was discussed in the January 15th PAC Meeting:
· There was a discussion of SSU leaving the American MidEast Conference
· SSU is working on a Master’s of Education program that could be in place by Fall 2009.
· Ohio University may be offering a Master’s of Social Work. The informational meeting was well attended. That degree would be from Ohio University.
· A Master’s of Nursing is also in the very early discussion stages.
· Nikki Montgomery reminded everyone that the Homecoming Pep Rally is Friday, January 23rd at 12:30 p.m. on the Mezzanine in the Athletic Center. Food will be served.
· Angela Henderson reminded everyone of the Big Blue Bonfire Friday, January 23rd at 7 p.m. and the Tailgate Party Saturday, January 24th at 12:30 p.m. She also went over the entire Homecoming schedule.
· Tiffany Weaver reminded everyone of the Homecoming Dance Saturday, January 24th at 9 p.m.
Bill reported that at the PAC Meeting, Jonica Burke, the Registrar, gave an enrollment snapshot:
· The headcount for this spring vs. last spring is up 3.7%
· Full Time Enrollment is up 5.3%
· Students enrolled 12-14 hours are up 7%
· Students enrolled more than 18 hours are down.
· The total part-time students is down
· The graduate program is increasing
Bill also reported that housing applications are still being submitted at a good pace.
3) Black History Events
Bill went over the calendar of events for Black History Month. He highlighted the African Children’s Choir, which will be at the Vern Riffe Center for the Arts March 16th at 7:30 p.m. The event is free. Phyllis Noah told the group that you can listen to the choir online [Secretary’s Note: The website is www.africanchildrenschoir.com]. The group started as orphans, and they still raise money for the orphanage.
Bill also let the group know that Matt Matthews is out of the hospital and Bill encouraged everyone to reach out to him.
University-Wide Committee Reports
1) Personnel Development
Chris Nourse thanked everyone for completing the electronic survey as 50 were received from the UAA group. The committee is developing a two-year cycle of training and we will see more about it in the next couple of months.
Bane Sylvia reported that Chip Poirot has been named the new chair of the committee. SSU will be looking at bids from health insurance vendors in April. The current contract with Anthem ends July 1st.
3) Special Events
Nikki reported the committee has met several times to plan the Homecoming Pep Rally and put together the Homecoming master calendar.
Other Campus Announcements
Bane reported that the supervisory personnel have been placed as three sergeants have been hired. The current officers are still temporary since their jobs must go through civil service. They will become permanent in the next few weeks.
Ann Marie Short introduced Katy Mathuews as the new reference librarian.
3) Healthy Hearts Luncheon
Angela reminded everyone about the Healthy Hearts Luncheon Friday, February 13th at 11:30 a.m. in the Selby Lobby of the VRCFA. The luncheon is free to everyone, but you must RSVP to Deborah Howell. After the luncheon, the SSU Mobile Health Unit will be dedicated.
4) Chinese New Year
Xuemei Yang reminded everyone of the Chinese New Year presentation/performance/meal Friday, January 23rd at 3 p.m. in the Micklethwaite Banquet Hall.
5) Athletic Center
Debbie Weber asked about the process for reserving the gymnasium. Rick told Debbie to contact Jonna Cook first, but also work with Sandi Little.
6) Health Care Job Fair
Steve Gregory reminded everyone that the Health Care Job Fair is February 5th. 22 employers will be attending to talk with health science students and alumni. March 10th is the annual Job Fair and April 8th will be the Technical Job Fair for engineering, gaming and information systems management students.
7) Office of Communications
Phyllis encouraged everyone to let the Office of Communications know about events on campus.
Tiffany Weaver made a motion to adjourn the meeting with Mark Moore seconding. Motion passed. The meeting adjourned at 10:50 a.m.