The mission of the SSU Dental Hygiene Program is to:
- Educate and prepare competent dental health care professionals, capable of applying
knowledge gained in general education, biomedical science, and dental hygiene science
when making decisions in the dental hygiene practice setting;
- Provide graduates with the means of making ethical decisions and assuming responsibility
for dental hygiene services provided to diverse populations;
- Develop in graduates an appreciation for life-long learning and the ability to critically
analyze self, standards of care, and current research practices;
- Provide graduates with the abilities and experience to value community service and contribute to the advancement of the dental hygiene profession.
Goals for Student Outcome
- The graduate will be knowledgeable in the basic sciences which support dental hygiene.
- The graduate will be able to provide complete dental hygiene services to include assessment
of the patients physical and oral conditions, and demonstrate preparation for medical/dental
- The graduate will participate in dental hygiene continuing education, community service,
and promote optimal health by utilizing appropriate educational methods, strategies
and communication skills.
- The graduate will be well prepared to gain employment and successfully function as
an ethical dental hygiene practitioner, and/or successfully pursue advanced study
in a related field, and to advance in those chosen specialties.
- Patients served by the SSU Dental Hygiene Clinic will express overall satisfaction with
the clinical services, business operations and student interactions regarding scheduling,
and respect for individual needs.
- The Dental Hygiene treatments provided by the SSU Clinic will exceed the expected
standard of practice in the geographical region and comply with the Ohio Dental Practice
Act (statutes and regulations)
- The graduate will develop the ability to critically analyze self, standards of care, and current research literature.