PAINTING is a core discipline with a rich history. Both representational and nonobjective approaches in a variety of painting media are explored to equip students with both the technical skills and creative vision required for an authoritative body of work. Our third floor Waller Painting Suite has 25-foot high north facing windows and an additional outdoor area for good weather painting.
Students who successfully complete this program will:
- Develop proficiency in the tools and techniques related to this studio practice.
- Cultivate excellent observation skills as well as a strong understanding of 2D principles and color.
- Create a cohesive body of work that is well considered and conceptually rigorous.
- Employ a vocabulary for critique and presentation.
All bachelor degree seeking students take the General Education Program. Fine arts students select a concentration in ceramics, drawing, painting. or photography as well as studio courses outside of their concentration for electives.
Download an outline for how a four year sequence might look for each major.
|General Education Program||32*|
|Art Core Requirements||30|
|Art Studio Concentration (Ceramics, Drawing, Painting, or Photography)||30|
|Art Studio Electives||24|
|Total Hours Required||122|
* The Art Core contains three art history courses that satisfy requirements in the GEP.
- Art Studio electives: Choose 24 hours of ARTG and/or ARTS.
- General electives: Choose 6 hours of courses other than ART.
|ARTS 2311||Painting 1||3|
|ARTS 2312||Painting 2||3|
|ARTS 3311||Intermediate Painting 1||3|
|ARTS 3312||Intermediate Painting 2||3|
|ARTS 4311||Advanced Painting 1||3|
|ARTS 4312||Advanced Painting 2||3|
|ARTS 3321||Figure Painting 1||3|
|ARTS 3322||Figure Painting 2||3|
|ARTS 4321||Advanced Figure Painting 1||3|
|ARTS 4322||Advanced Figure Painting 2||3|
|ARTS 3331||Watercolor 1||3|
|ARTS 3332||Watercolor 2||3|
|ARTS 4331||Advanced Watercolor 1||3|
|ARTS 4332||Advanced Watercolor 2||3|
This degree is coordinated by Bastien Lecouffe. For information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.