Shawnee State has an excellent concentration in CERAMICS, affording strong foundations in both functional and sculptural techniques leading to more individualized approaches suitable for gallery, graduate school, and/or commercial production experiences.
The program features a fully equipped studio suite of six rooms, including computer controlled gas and electric kilns, multiple worktables, and electric throwing wheels.
Students who successfully complete this program will:
- Develop proficiency in the tools and techniques related to this studio practice.
- Create a cohesive body of work that is well considered and conceptually rigorous.
- Utilize ceramic and other materials with consideration for their physical and artistic properties.
- Employ a vocabulary for critique and presentation.
All bachelor degree seeking students take the General Education Program. Fine arts students select a concentration in ceramics, drawing, painting. or photography as well as studio courses outside of their concentration for electives.
Download an outline for how a four year sequence might look for each major.
|General Education Program||32*|
|Art Core Requirements||30|
|Art Studio Concentration (Ceramics, Drawing, Painting, or Photography)||30|
|Art Studio Electives||24|
|Total Hours Required||122|
* The Art Core contains three art history courses that satisfy requirements in the GEP.
- Art Studio electives: Choose 24 hours of ARTG and/or ARTS.
- General electives: Choose 6 hours of courses other than ART.
|ARTS 2411||Ceramics 1||3|
|ARTS 2412||Ceramics 2||3|
|ARTS 3411||Intermediate Ceramics 1||3|
|ARTS 3412||Intermediate Ceramics 2||3|
|ARTS 3431||Raku Ceramics||3|
|ARTS 3421||Porcelain Ceramics||3|
|ARTS 3433||Glaze Theory and Practice||3|
|ARTS 3425||Tile Making||3|
|ARTS 3423||Mold Making||3|
|ARTS 3427||Low Fire Ceramics||3|
|ARTS 4431||Advanced Raku Ceramics||3|
|ARTS 4421||Advanced Porcelain Ceramics||3|
|ARTS 4433||Advanced Glaze Theory and Practice||3|
|ARTS 2441||Sculpture 1||3|
|ARTS 2442||Sculpture 2||3|
|ARTS 3441||Intermediate Sculpture 1||3|
|ARTS 3442||Intermediate Sculpture 2||3|
|ARTS 4441||Advanced Sculpture 1||3|
|ARTS 4442||Advanced Sculpture 2||3|
|ARTS 3451||Small Model Sculpture||3|
This degree is coordinated by the department chair. For information, contact (740) 351-3118.