Shawnee State University
Dental Hygiene Program
The mission of the SSU Dental Hygiene Program is to:
- Educate and prepare competent dental health
care professionals, capable of applying knowledge gained in
general education, biomedical science, and dental hygiene science
when making decisions in the dental hygiene practice setting;
- Provide graduates with the means of making
ethical decisions and assuming responsibility for dental hygiene
services provided to diverse populations;
- Develop in graduates an appreciation for
life-long learning and the ability to critically analyze self,
standards of care, and current research practices;
- Provide graduates with the abilities and
experience to value community service and contribute to the
advancement of the dental hygiene profession.
Goals for Student Outcome
- The graduate will be knowledgeable in the basic
sciences which support dental
- The graduate will be able to provide complete
dental hygiene services to include
assessment of the patients physical and oral conditions, and
demonstrate preparation for medical/dental emergencies.
- The graduate will participate in dental hygiene
continuing education, community service, and promote optimal
health by utilizing appropriate educational methods, strategies
and communication skills.
- The graduate will be well prepared to gain
employment and successfully function as an ethical dental hygiene
practitioner, and/or successfully pursue advanced study in a
related field, and to advance in those chosen specialties.
- Patients served by the SSU Dental Hygiene
Clinic will express overall satisfaction
with the clinical services, business operations and student
scheduling, and respect for individual needs.
- The Dental Hygiene treatments provided by the
SSU Clinic will exceed the expected standard of practice in the
geographical region and comply with the Ohio Dental Practice Act
(statutes and regulations)
- The graduate will develop the ability to
critically analyze self, standards of care, and current research