Action Project Charge from the
AQIP Action Project #2 - Scheduling Revisions for the Semester
Action Project Team
Joe Van Deusen
Charge to the Team
The goal of this project is to improve the scheduling of courses at
Shawnee State so students can complete their programs in a timely
- efficient use of classrooms and other space,
- better use of days of the week and time slots for classes, and
- decreasing course conflicts so that students are better served
and able to keep on track to graduation with minimal disruptions.
Objectives to realize this goal include:
- investigate the use of computer-based scheduling programs to
increase efficiency and reduce conflicts and
- improved communication among departments to coordinate course
The “Scheduling” Action Project Team is charged with implementing
this AQIP project over the next two years. A copy of the project
description that was submitted to AQIP is attached for additional
The Action Project Team is responsible for:
information about the current status scheduling, including:
- room use statistics, course conflicts, departmental
scheduling requirements, and
- student, staff and faculty satisfaction with scheduling system
and procedures, and
- other possible measures of scheduling difficulties and
- Developing a set of assumptions concerning the best scheduling
system for Shawnee State University.
- Examining scheduling systems and structures at peer
institutions, including software used to schedule classes, rooms,
and other activities.
- Communicating regularly with appropriate campus groups
concerning AQIP Action Project #2.
- preparing information for campus-wide review,
- updating the Strategic Planning Committee on Action Team #2
- coordination and meeting with the Director of Institutional
Planning and other Action Project Team leaders, and
- obtaining input from campus offices involved in scheduling.
- Submission of recommended changes in scheduling systems and
structures that will increase room use efficiency; minimize
conflicts for students; and enhance student retention, persistence
to graduation and satisfaction with advising to the President,
Cabinet, and Strategic Planning Committee for preliminary review.
- Reporting on project progress and outcomes, including:
- minutes of all meetings, hearings, focus groups, etc.,
- preparation of a final report at the end of the project,
- assistance in preparing annual AQIP updates, and
- participation in building the Shawnee State AQIP Systems
January – March: Committee organization and data collection
concerning scheduling at Shawnee State
March – May: Peer institution investigation of scheduling systems,
structures, and procedures
April – June: Discussion with departments about scheduling needs for
June – September: Investigation of alternative scheduling systems,
software, and procedures and submission of preliminary
recommendations for review by President, Cabinet, and Strategic
September – October: Revision of recommendations for submission to
campus and development of specific outcome measures to judge the
success of the project
October and November: Campus-wide discussion of proposed changes
January – March: Monitor implementation of proposed changes as
appropriate offices and campus groups begin faculty and staff
training, changes in structures and procedures, communication with
students. Build summer and fall schedules for 2007 using new
processes and systems.
April – May: Monitor registration using new systems, coordinate with
Advising Action Project
June – October: Evaluate new systems and processes using outcome
measures developed for this project.
November - December: Report on Action Project activity, challenges,
successes, recommendations, etc.