Action Project Charge from the
AQIP Action Project #1 - Improve Student Advising
Action Project Team
Mary Ann Malone
Charge to the Team
This project will address the needs of SSU students, particularly
“at-risk” students, through improved advising procedures, structures
and training. The student advising action project will build on
advising changes and improvements achieved during a Title III grant
at Shawnee during the past three years. The work with incoming and
current students will expand into an advising system that serves all
students and results in improved retention and persistence to
graduation. One possible structural change, such as the creation of
a University College, has been much discussed on campus. This
project will include planning for any structural change.
The “Improving Student Advising” Action Project Team is charged with
implementing this AQIP project over the next 18 months. A copy of
the project description that was submitted to AQIP is attached for
additional background information.
The Action Project Team is responsible for:
- Gathering information about the current status of advising,
- retention and persistence to graduation statistics,
- review of the Noel-Levitz/Culver report,
- student satisfaction with advising, and
- other possible measures of advising success.
- Examining advising systems and structures at peer institutions.
- Communicating regularly with appropriate campus groups concerning AQIP Action Project #1, including:
- preparing information for campus-wide review,
- updating the Strategic Planning Committee on Action Team #1
- coordination and meeting with the Director of Institutional
Planning and other Action Project Team leaders, and
- obtaining input from campus offices that advise students.
- Submission of recommended changes in advising systems and
structures that will enhance student retention, persistence to
graduation and student satisfaction to the President, Cabinet, and
Strategic Planning Committee for preliminary review.
- Reporting on project progress and outcomes, including:
- minutes of all meetings, hearings, focus groups, etc.,
- preparation of a final report at the end of the project,
- monitoring implementation of recommendations,
- assistance in preparing annual AQIP updates, and
- participation in building the Shawnee State AQIP Systems
January – March: Committee organization and data collection
concerning advising status
March – May: Peer institution investigation of advising systems,
structures, and procedures
April – June: Discussion and input from campus community
June – September: Preliminary recommendation of changes in advising
system, structure and procedures reviewed by President, Cabinet, and
Strategic Planning Committee
September – October: Revision of recommendations for submission
October and November: Campus-wide discussion of proposed changes,
governance approval where appropriate
January – March: Monitor implementation of proposed changes as
appropriate offices and campus groups begin faculty and staff
training, changes in structures and procedures, and communication
April – May: Report on Action Project activity, challenges,
successes, recommendations, etc.